Recipe: Tacos Dorados de Papa y Kabocha
It's fall, and squashes are filling the shelves of our local grocery stores for the season. Here's an easy way to incorporate squash into this family favorite recipe.
Switch up your usual tacos de papa night 🥔 with a lil kabocha squash!
Check out our Carnitas taco seasoning and add it to all your tacos!
Makes 10-12 tacos
- 2 lbs kabocha squash
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 cup neutral flavored cooking oil, divided
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp Todo Verde Carnitas seasoning
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 12 6 inch tortillas
- Thinly sliced red cabbage and sour cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- To begin, cut off the top stem and bottom end of your squash and discard. Use sharp knife to carefully remove skin. Once skin is removed, cut squash in half and clean out seeds.
- Add squash to baking sheet and massage 1 tbsp oil and salt all over. Once squash is evenly coated, add to oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Add potatoes to pot and add water till they are covered. Boil for 20-25 minutes until fork tender.
- In a blender, add tomatoes, garlic and onion. Blend till completely smooth.
- Preheat a large pot to medium heat and add 2 tbsp oil. Once hot, add tomato mixture, to cook and slightly reduce for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and squash to the pot with the reduced tomato mixture. Use a smasher to mash until you have a smooth consistency.
- Add Carnitas seasoning, nutritional yeast, salt and mix until fully incorporated.
- Warm up comal and warm all tortillas. After tortillas are warm, add about 2 ounces of filling to your tortilla. and fold in half.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet to medium heat and add the remaining cooking oil. Once the oil is hot, add each taco slowly. Allow each side to cook for about 1-3 minutes.(until brown and crispy) Remove each taco and set aside on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Serve with the red cabbage and sour cream.